The time had come. The finalists were ready. The crowd was large and pumped. Who would be first to be crowned, “The Lord of the Wings” and have the honour of holding aloft the prized “Golden Chicken” trophy.
The finalists were ready, they were:
- Jared “Jihad” Martin – Winner of round 1 with a record setting 39 wings.
- Rhys “The Squeeze” Endres – Second place in round 2 with 36 wings
- Tristan “The Wing Wizard” Want – Third place in round 2 with 32 wings
- Colin “The Conqueror” MacLaurin – First place in round 3 with 29 wings
- Cameron “Latearama” Jukes – Second place in round 3 with 26 wings
A slightly different format greeted our finalists, each being presented with a silver platter of 39 wings, the current Yardbird Ale House Wing Challenge record, ready for them to be devoured by our brave wing warriors.
Once the guests were seated and the wings presented, contestants and the crowd alike were taken aback by the fumes emanating from their wing platters. The heat of this sauce was unprecedented. Even though the recipe was the same, the heat from the wings fresh from the fryer caused the sauce to steam, wafting throughout the arena and striking fear into those who were about to compete.
As always, everyone started out strong. It takes some minutes before the heat of the wings creep up on the contestants, and once it does, they all become vocal describing the pain that they’re in. Rhys began firing verbal obscenities at the judge almost immediately, at one point saying that he “hated him so much right now”. Even having his brow mopped by his beautiful female assistant wasn’t enough to quell the pain that was the Death Sentence Wing Sauce.
As time progressed, a lead started to form, with the reigning record holder pulling away from the pack quickly. Others slowed, hit hard by the heat coming from the Death Sentence sauce.
Nearing the end of the competition, Tristan “The Wing Wizard” want rose from his seat, determined to catch up to Jared in a last ditch attempt to take the title. Third place was being battled out closely between Cameron “Latearama” Jukes and Colin “The Conqueror” MacLaurin. Rhys “The Squeeze” Endres lagged behind, clearly thrown by the heat.
In the end, there could only be one winner. And that winner would be none other than the current record holder Jared “Jihad” Martin!
First Place: Jared “Jihad” Martin – 33 Wings, winning $100 bar tab, a bottle of Single Barrel Jack Daniel’s Whiskey, and being the first person to hold aloft the Golden Chicken trophy!
Second Place: Tristan “The Wing Wizard” Want – 30 Wings, winning $50 bar tab
Third Place: Colin “The Conqueror” MacLaurin and Cameron “Latearama” Jukes, tied with 27 wings each, winning $25 bar tab each.
Subscribe to our mailing list at the bottom of this page. Yardbird Ale House in association with CompetitiveEating.com.au and SupersizedMeals.com will be presenting the 2013 championship, so stay tuned!
This is what you’ve all been waiting for. The Yardbird Ale House Death Sentence Wing Challenge Championship. The top 3 placed eaters from the first 3 rounds of 2012 have qualified for this Grand Final event. Who will be crowned the undisputed 2012 Yardbird Ale House Death Sentence Wing Champion?
Yardbird Ale House, in association with CompetitiveEating.com.au and SupersizedMeals.com are proud to present the GRAND FINAL “Yardbird Ale House Death Sentence Wing Championship”. Who will be “The Lord of the Wings”?
Yardbird Ale House
6/24 Martin Street
Fortitude Valley QLD 4006
Date and time:
Saturday 8 December 2012
Competition starts 8pm sharp
- Jared “Jihad” Martin (Round 1)
- Adam “Middo” (Round 1)
- Shawn “Shawneebee” Brown (Round 1)
- Ben “Pullin” Pullen (Round 2)
- Rhys “The Squeeze” Endres (Round 2)
- Tristan “The Wing Wizard” Want (Round 2)
- Colin “The Conqueror” MacLaurin (Round 3)
- Cameron “latearama” Jukes (Round 3)
- Anthony “Hot Sizzle” Suchich (Round 3)
- “Slammin’” Sam Morrison (Round 3)
- First prize to be announced.
- Second prize to be announced
- Third Prize to be announced
- Contestants have 12 minutes to eat as many of Yardbird Ale House’s “Death Sentence Wings” as possible.
- Liquids can be consumed as part of the competition, and can only be supplied by the Yardbird Ale House. No dairy.
- Contestants must not leave the table at any time during the competition. Those who do will instantly be disqualified
- Contestants who have a “reversal” are instantly disqualified. A reversal will be determined by the head judge with no further discussion entered into. The judges decision is final.
- “Chipmunking” is permitted. At the end of the 12 minutes, what goes in and stays in counts, so long as it’s consumed within 2 minutes after the 12 minutes has elapsed. Failure to finish will result in a 3 wing penalty.
How to enter:
Contestants who have placed in the top 3 positions in the first 3 rounds of the Death Sentence Wing Challenge have automatically qualified.
For more details, email events@CompetitiveEating.com.au, visit the Yardbird Ale House Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/YardbirdAleHouse or leave a comment below this article.